A New Start

Let me introduce my self to start off this new post. I am a 19 year old, Afro-Latina. I have two older brothers. I reside in the Northern part of California. I am Puerto Rican on my mom's side and Colombian from my dad's side. I get the majority of my African roots from my dad's side since he is a Afro-Colombian and is from Buenaventura that holds a majority of Afro-Colombians. While my mother's side holds a lot of white latinx despite them being from Puerto Rico. I am a senior in college currently majoring in Psychology. I will be graduating this upcoming December. My plans are to leave to Puerto Rico for at least a year to become more fluent in my Spanish. Yes, I know. I have heard it all. "You are full blooded Latina and you do not speak any Spanish?" It hurts a lot. My dad can barely speak a lick of English but he was never prominent in my life. And my mom never pushed it as much. So now that I am getting older, I am putting my foot down and I am trying to speak my family's language. I can understand and read it, but not so much speak it and have a full blown conversation. I remember when I was younger, I went to a Colombian parade with my dad and these men started to speak to me in Spanish and that time I did not really understand it so the guys said to me, "Why are you here?" "What do you mean you cannot speak Spanish?" Just making it seem like I am less Latinx because I can't speak Spanish. Everyone has their own opinions about how Latinx someone is, but to me you should be culturally aware of who you are and where you come from. Learn the history. Be fully aware of struggles. It should not just be about language. I would go on, but I will make them into future posts and I am really excited to start this blog. I have tried to express myself on so many sites but I never felt connected to it. I hope people can relate to me. Please comment I would love to meet people and hear what they have to say. Subscribe to me too please I have so much to say and it'll be very intriguing for you guys to interact with me!! Have a lovely day to whomever is reading this. 
 Love, Jazmin

Comments

Popular Posts